Monday, October 4, 2010

Ava Grace and Olivia Joy!!!

Ok first of all, I am going to start doing better with this blog, I want to remember these first few days and weeks of the twins life in the NICU..

So after a few appointments last week and a high risk doctor appointment we realized the girls weren't growing in the womb anymore and we needed to get them out. My doctor decided he wanted to do a section b/c he didn't want to put the girls under any stress. So we scheduled the section for Thursday, September 30 at 12 noon.
So we went in for the section. The section itself went well, I did get a little/alot nauseous during the whole thing and felt pretty rough for a few hours after but it wasn't too horrible. The girls both came out kicking the doctor and crying right away. They are amazing! Ava was 3 lbs and 10 oz and 17 inches and Olivia was 2 lbs and 12 oz and 16 inches! Let me just say they are gorgeous. Their sweet daddy got to carry them out quickly to see family and then they wanted to get the to NICU. So they went straight to NICU. Because of a wonderful labor and delivery nurse I did get to be wheeled in on the bed to see them a few hours later. Nurses can make or break your experience and mine were wonderful!

So the first few days in the NICU we had a few issues. We thought Olivia was the one we were going to have to worry about b/c she was the smallest and a detailed sonogram last week had shown she wasn't properly distributing her blood. Well let me tell you that chick is amazing. She has had no issues. She is a fighter. She just needs to eat and grow. She is so calm and mild mannered and relaxed. Jon said she is already a daddy's girl! Now Miss Ava had a few issues in the beginning. She wasn't breathing as good as they would like the first day so they put  her on oxygen for a day. She quickly did start doing great, then she had a little jaundice so they had to put the mask on her and set up the lights for her. She also had to have some antibiotics through an iv for some acid issues. However, as of today all of those things are gone. Now they both have to just eat and grow. It is amazing to think that is all we are really worrying about at this point. I am telling you b/w the prayers from everyone and God's amazing love we are so blessed. It is amazing! We have quickly realized Ava is a wild woman. Last night she moved herself out of her little snuggie and moved all the way down her isolate and had totally shifted and turned her body around, while miss Olivia just sleeps so peacefully!! haha already we have a calm child and a wild girl! i love it!

Now, we were told they would be fraternal twins b/c they both had separate sacs, well one of our precious NICU nurses disagrees. She herself has twins and was told the same thing and she did a DNA test and come to find out they are Identical. Well we are convinced ours are Identical and once they get bigger and come home we will be doing the test. These two girls look exactly alike. IF they didn't have a pound difference b/w them right now I would not be able to tell them apart! Let me just say they are soo beautiful though. They have their daddys dark hair- they both have a head full and they look exactly like their daddy. Which is ok with me b/c I think he's pretty darn cute! I just can't say enough how in love we are with them.

Now I must say it is the hardest thing in the world to know you created these little children and now they can't quite come home with you. That is hard people. It hit me Saturday night out of the blue and then on Sunday when we were discharged I took it rough. It is so hard but I know it will get better. We are going to see them every single day and hopefully twice a day and they tell us within 3 to 4 weeks they should be big enough to come home. I sure hope so b/c walking in a nursery you have made for twins and knowing you aren't pregnant anymore but your babies aren't home is soo hard.

I just ask for your prayers that these girls continue to do amazing and will eat and grow quickly! We want them healthy and home!

 I will continue to update so we can look back and remember these important beginning NICU days!

4 comments:

  1. Melissa, I am so glad to hear that Oliva and Ava are doing great. We will continue to pray for your family. We know that how hard it is to leave a newborn in NICU, knowing that you are not at the hospital. It might not get easier, but knowing that there are special angels looking out for your babies, always helps.....Tawana Prejean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Update this blog, I will read it everyday :) I love you friend, can't wait to hold those beautiful girls!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Melissa for sharing your special story! I can only imagine the double joy you and John must be feeling! I'm sure it's hard not having them home with you yet...but I bet they will gain weight quickly and be home sooner than predicted!! I'm sorry to hear big sister is not feeling well...I bet she can't wait to get better so she can visit the twins. Take care girl...you and your family are in our prayers...we miss and love you...see you soon and keep us posted!
    Lisa Baldwin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for your girls, and for YOU!

    ReplyDelete