Sunday, October 10, 2010

Progress!!!!

Well we have had a great few days in the NICU!!! The girls are doing awesome! I tell you they are just amazing. They still have no other problems, just learning to eat through the bottle and gaining weight. We are so so blessed! So since they will be 36 week babies on Monday the nurses decided they needed to start really working on bottles. So when Jon and myself got to the hospital last night they had us ready to do the 8 o'clock feeding. For me it was a little nerve wracking b/c they are so small and that big monitor machine makes noises and scares me alot. I finally relaxed after the sweet nurse Nancy showed me some stuff. I just didn't know if you do everything the same way with little babies as you do with the big ole babies! Well you do! So Jon feed Ava and I feed Olivia. The NICU nurse got Olivia to finish her bottle and I burped her. We learned that since they loved to be swaddled and love to be cuddled by mom and dad you kind of have to hold them away from you when you are feeding them b/c when they are being cuddled they just want to sleep. So we learned that right away. I tell you though my husband was a pro. He got Ava to take her entire bottle. He didn't want help and he proved he didn't need it! He is already amazing with these babies and I can't wait to see when they get home how well he will do! They are eating at 8, 11, 2, 5 around the clock and will probably stay on that even when they come home and even if they aren't awake in the night we will have to wake them b/c preemies have to be on strict schedules! After we fed them both coincidentally both had stinky diapers for us. So we both changed our babies stinky and then got them all warm and toasty back in their isolate! The NICU nurse told Jon and I we both received Gold Stars for last night! I know it sounds crazy but it is different when they are small so we were soo proud of ourselves! We are planning on being there every night for the 8 o'clock feeding and as soon as I can drive again (this Friday!!!! hallelujah!) I am going to hopefully be there for the 8 o'clock morning feeding as well! Anyways, so we are doing great. They have both also started gaining and hopefully will continue. Last night Ava was 3-12 and Olivia was 2-14. Hopefully it is even more today when we go! Thanks for all the prayers, keep them coming b/c they are working! God is good and we are so blessed!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, it sounds like they are doing wonderfully well. It is scary to care for such tiny babies, but you seem to be getting the hang of it with the help of those great NICU nurses. I look forward to reading more about the girls' progress.
    If you would like to touch base with other parents of preemies, you might want to visit the March of Dimes community called Share Your Story: http://www.shareyourstory.org/ Many parents find it very supportive.

    ReplyDelete