Thursday, October 21, 2010

3 weeks old!

Well the girls are 3 weeks old today! Hard to believe it has been 3 weeks since these sweet girls came into our lives! Let's start with Ava! She was discharged last Sunday! We were so shocked b/c we didnt expect it to be that soon, although we were thrilled. It was a hard day though bc it was so hard to take Ava and leave Olivia. I didn't realize how hard that would be. Ava has been doing good at home, the first 2 nights she was fussy during the night. We were trying to let her sleep in the pack n play in our bedroom and she honestly didn't like the pack n play. So we tried the crib and it's been working wonders! The baby loves her crib! She has now been doing great at night. She wakes every 3 hours to eat and then usually goes right back to sleep in her crib! She is such a sweet little baby! She is up to 4 lbs and 7 ounces. We do think she misses her little sister being in the bed next to her! I am ready to have them together. Her big sister, Alexis has been so sweet to her. She did get to hold her for a minute and that thrilled her to death. She has been very helpful with bringing us stuff for Ava when we need it!

Miss Olivia is also doing great. Jon and myself are both getting up there at night. When he gets home from work at 5 I go feed Olivia and spend time with her and then he goes at 8. It is hard to have one home and one in the NICU. Olivia is doing great though. As of last night she was 4 lbs which means it won't be long now before she is home. After spending all day with Ava and then going to see Olivia last night I really realized they look just alike for real. I think b/c Olivia's weight is almost caught up with Ava's it's helping. Pretty sure these girls are identical. Can't wait to lay them beside each other at home and really see if there is any difference.
I do want to say I was again reminded last night just how blessed we were. As I was feeding Olivia I heard a nurse telling a parent that their baby had had a spell and his vitals dropped and he stopped breathing and they had to bag him to get him to breath. Right then and there I stopped and prayed for that family b/c I can't imagine what it feels like to be told that and I thanked God for letting my 2 girls be so incredibly healthy.

I never want to take for granted the blessings we have been given.



2 comments:

  1. Melissa,
    I have enjoyed reading about your sweet family. I know you are so overwhelmed but so thankful for their growing and being so healthy. What a blessing of grace God has given to you and your sweet family. I would love to come see the girls one afternoon after you get Olivia home and get everyone settled -- maybe in a month or so. I'll keep on praying for all of you. Much Love, Carol Ann -- Tell your mama I said hi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy to read that little Ava is home and that Olivia continues to do well. I hope to hear that they are both home with you very soon.
    Preemies mean so much to us. I want to let you know that we will be participating in the Bloggers Unite Fight for Preemies event on November 17th, Prematurity Awareness Day. I thought you might be interested in joining us. Here’s a link for more info and to sign up to help us spread the word: http://bit.ly/a6y8hj. Nov. 17th is the day we all fight – because babies shouldn’t have to.

    ReplyDelete